Antarctica

Antarctica

Tuesday 15 April 2008

The end of Antarctica, the beginning of the solo adventure!

Hello again, since I was last on, we left Rothera - amazing place, got a sending off with flares (they were aiming at the ship and were pretty good shots!). The JCR was now loaded up almost fully (I think 82 people, max = 84!). The lifeboat drill was fun! The sea was pretty rough coming out of Rothera, but I only felt tired for the first evening (sea legs fully operational!). We then had a startling good crossing of Drake´s passage which puzzled everyone! Therefore we slowly crept into Stanley as we could have arrived at 10pm Thurs, but the berth wasnt ready til 7am Fri! During the crossing, I did the cruise reports for the equpiment I was responsible for, some of my 1st year PhD report and spent a great morning shadowing the engineers. When I had the engine tour, and from talking to the engineers I had thought the whole job sounded really interesting, so they offered to let me follow the duty engineer (which on that day was Jim - 3rd engineer) around for the morning. So we went up and down the entire ship (conquering my fear of ladders!) taking readings and checking everything. Was really interesting, could have spent a lot longer down there. He even let me press a button! Lol!
Arrived in the Falklands, and dashed into Stanley to sort out all my travel arrangements. Organised a week in Santiago with 1 night at the same place as all the BAS people to give me a feeling of the city with people to show me, accommodation at the Hotel Galerias for a week, 2 tours (city tour of Santiago and day trip to Valparaiso and Vina del Mar) and airport transfers. Had a bit of hassle sorting it (my own fault for giving them 1 day to sort it all for me!) but it was all done in time, with all the necessary documents ready for me at the airport. Had a last night in Stanley at The Brasserie with all the geos and bios, had a lovely smoked salmon starter and seafood spaghetti main course with plenty of wine going round the table. david Pearce and I shared a baked alaska, gorgeous... Started a game of chinese whispers, which involved clinking the glass next to you while whispering in the relevant persons ear, and seeing what it ends up as. It got quite rowdy and rude towards the end! Then we went to Deanos - a bar with music and a dance floor! very amusing and fun, they finished with a slow song (for all the 15 yr olds populating the bar!) which just reminded me of school discos!
More later (people are getting irate at my computer hogging...)
xxx

No comments: