Antarctica

Antarctica

Wednesday 20 February 2008

First Day

Posted: Tuesday 19th Feb, Describes: Tuesday 19th
Slept well, got up at 7am (shock horror!) and was very restrained at breakfast, only having some toast, poached egg and beans! Full english's were very popular! Then we all got to work, moving and unpacking crates of equipment. I got set up in my little lab, or should I say partly mine... It has 2 autosals (salinometers for my CTD water samples) and a load of P-series standard seawater for standardisation in it and that's about it, so very small, but it should be nearly always empty except for me.
That was the whole morning (with some standing around trying to find someone to help!), then it was lunch (days revolve around mealtimes it appears!). The FI sea air seems to make me very sleepy and hungry, so i had the full 3 courses - spicy beef and tomato soup, mushroom ravioli with fried rice (veggie option as I didnt want the ribs) and then a Tollhouse cookie, mmmmm...
Then it was back to pestering people for jobs until eventually I gave up and decided to set up my wireless network connection in the UIC (Underway Instrumentation Control - where all the computers are that control all the instuments - so where I will spend most of my time). Got bored and decided that I would walk into Stanley, so went to my cabin to get stuff and changed my mind and had a 2.5hr nap instead! Very refreshing!
Dinner was tomato and cheese ravioli, italian chicken pasta and lemon cake (with meringue bits...) Then I played a little bit of darts in the bar and we got on the 7.30pm minibus to Stanley. I took a quick trip to the main shop to get a few supplies like squash as I will be fed up of water soon, then met up with everyone else in Deano's, a bar with 3 tvs showing 3 different channels - music, Holby City and Real Madrid v Roma, so uiqte nice but rather smoky unfortunately. C-D, Tara, Huw, Hilary and I walked back to JCR (~40mins) and now I am off to bed! It is a free day tomorrow so hopefully we can see a few penguins and get my flights sorted for Peru! Bye!

No comments: