Antarctica

Antarctica

Thursday 28 February 2008

Ill/asleep days!

Posted Thurs 28th Feb, Describes Fri 22nd and Sat 23rd Feb (Drake's passage)
Woke up today (Friday 22nd) not feeling very well at all, so decided to skip breakfast and carry on sleeping. We had arranged a quick session learning how to use the swath, at 9am, so got up just before, still feeling dodgy and went down there. We all crowded round a computer screen while Tara and Rob explained it all. After 10 mins I was starting to feel even worse, so sat down hoping it would help, but if anything it made it worse, so I dashed off to the nearest toilet to throw up for 5 mins. Crawled weakly back to my cabin, encountering Ali on the way, looking decidedly green as he went back to his cabin too. Hilary was still in bed when I got back, as she had felt worse than me and had been throwing up all morning. The ship wasn’t rolling and pitching too much so I felt fine lying down. Doc Ruth (ship’s doctor) came round to see us an hour later, changed the pills that Hilary was taking to see if it helped and just told us it was a matter of time.
So over the course of the day, I got up a few times to see if I was improving, and only managed 10 mins each time before having to lie down again. Huw and Claire came in every few hrs to get anything we wanted, which pretty much amounted to filling our water bottles, but it was lovely having company for a bit as I was pretty bored! Slept most of the day, only eating 1 bread roll and 4 ginger nut biscuits, which filled me up!
Was starting to feel better in the evening, until we got properly into Drake’s passage where a storm a few days before had left a largish swell. So carried on the sleeping…
Woke up Saturday (23rd) feeling even worse, and very weak, so didn’t get out of bed at all until 9pm, when Hilary decided to have a quick look outside to see if it made her feel better, and I decided to have a shower to see if that helped! Probably would have done, except it used up my entire store of energy, so almost collapsed back into bed. Food count: 1 beef sandwich, 3 crackers and 4 ginger nut biscuits. Again, that filled me up! Then back to sleep (it will get more exciting soon…)

No comments: