Antarctica

Antarctica

Thursday 21 February 2008

Free day!

Posted: Thursday 21st Feb, Describes: Wednesday 20th Feb
We were told we could have a free day today, so after getting up at 7am again (and trying the full english and the Jordans Muesli), we all discussed where we wanted to go. A large group of people went off to Gypsy Cove which is 'the' place to see penguins in the FIs. I decided not to as I wanted to see Stanley, go shopping and sort out my flights. It was a 1hr walk to go to Stanley and 1hr in the other direction to go to Gypsy Cove, so I decided to do just one! Also Huw said that when they went this time last year, the penguins had gone, so I didnt want to trek down there and not see anything, though if you look at his blog, you will see the large number of penguins they saw, as well as a seal and a dolphin, hmph! Spent the morning trying to upload photos, it takes so long and is so unpredictable, so I am still experimenting with it. Then after lunch (leek and potato soup and a muffin), I set off for Stanley. Hilary had gone in the morning and as I left the JCR I saw her coming back. She recommended I took the coast path with the possibility of seeing a seal along the way as well as a multitude of different birds. So off I went, stopping every few minutes to creep up on an unsuspecting bird and take a photo. I must have taken a good 50 photos of birds during the afternoon! I shall try to upload the best one of all. A stubborn Cara-cara (which I am told is like a hawk) decided to sit on my path and not move until I got very very close to it, at which point it moved to a fence post where it stared at me creeping towards it, as if to say "you get any closer and I will peck you!" So I took an amazing picture of it sitting there!
So, anyway, I got into Stanley (took 1hr 20mins to get to the high street with all the stopping for photos) and visited 4 different gift shops where I got a gorgeous little cuddly penguin, an FI t-shirt and some postcards, all to remember the FIs by. Then it was off to sort out flights!

The guy at the office had this really great flight deal, where if you use any recognised Stanley-UK route, you can get it for £660 with total flexibility, all you have to do is use the route you specify which for me is Stanley>Punta Arenas>Santiago>Madrid>London. But you can do any flight on any day and stopover for as long as you like at any place, and also you can do side-trips, so I will be doing Santiago>Lima>Santiago to do the tour. The only disadvantage is having to come back to Santiago after the tour to go on to London, but it is definitely worth it!

Then I walked back (taking more pictures!). All the scientists had arranged to eat at The Brasserie in Stanley in the evening so we all got changed and got the free bus from the harbour to Stanley at 7.30pm. We got to the bus early as we thought not everyone would fit in it, but as everyone was wondering what to do about the remaining people, the driver told us that by each set of seats there was a seat which folded down into the aisle. So we stuffed everyone in, just about as we had the same numebr of people as seats! They had arranged 2 tables for us on opposite sides of the room (about 21 of us!) so the biologists went to one and the geologists went to the other. Huw and I thought this was a shame, so did a swap! So I sat with the biologists, learned a huge amount about the reason the UK is in so much debt from a German, and laughed at a few people who (due to misunderstandings) are barred from entering the US! They were all lovely people!

Peter had been there several times before so recommended a few things. I had a starter: Ceviche platter, main: fillet steak (argentinian) with chips, salad and black peppercorn sauce, and a dessert: double decker sundae. The ceviche I was particularly interested to have as it is a delicacy in S. America, but as it is seafood (in this case prawns and kingclip) it isnt a good idea to have it there, so I was really happy to have it here where I know it will be safe! Though now I have discovered how lovely it is, I am going to want to have it again! The steak which I had medium well done, was lovely too. The sundae consisted of cream on the top, then chocolate and vanilla ice cream with brownie bits, then at the bottom was a lovely strawberry sauce and ice cream with marshmallow-y bits. The whole meal was amazing!
After paying, we all trooped off to the Vic (Victory Pub) and had a drink before getting the free bus back at 11.20. While we waited for it (it was 15mins late) we did a bit of stargazing, saw the southern cross and orion (though the 'wrong' way up!). Got back to the JCR, got ready for bed, then Huw came in and said that there was a lunar eclipse in 9 mins (he heard it from Sevy, the russian I.T. guy who is a fount of all knowledge!). So I put some shoes on, grabbed my camera and dashed up to the monkey island - the highest you can get out on deck. Unfortunately I couldnt get any good pictures of it, but Johnnie got some amazing ones which I shall try to get hold of. So after that excitement it was back to bed...

May not update for a day or so, don't know, as we sail today at 5pm and I have no idea if I will get sea-sick. We will see!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bryony,

We've been following the webcan, and tracking - seeing that making really good progress. Hope you find your sealegs soon.

Hugs & Kisses

Mummy & Daddy

Anonymous said...

Hi Bryony,
Daddy here. Medina and Charles had a "GeoPhys" event at 1am this morning - the earth moved. No, actually they felt an 5.7 richter scale earthquake -epicentre Nr Lincoln.
You seem to be enjoying calmer weather and no doubt working very hard. Love & XXXX
M&D